When it comes to divorce, most people view the woman as the victim. However, the reality is that divorce can be just as devastating to men as it is to women. In an article by Brittany Wong of The Huffington Post, divorce male writers shared their most helpful pieces of advice on how to rebuild after divorce. Below are a few examples:
- You did NOT divorce your children. Divorce does not change the fact that you are a parent. All of your responsibilities for your children should remain the same. It is imperative that you remember your kids need you and now you can parent them the way you want. Don’t let your divorce have a negative impact on your relationship with your children. In contrast, use it as a means for making it stronger.
- Let go of the self-doubt. It is normal to analyze the marriage and the decisions you made to determine what you could have done differently. However, once the divorce is final, it is time to move on. Second-guessing will accomplish nothing.
- Be selective about the women your children meet. When you are ready to start dating again, it is important to understand that your children may not be ready for you to do so. It is normal and even healthy for you to date, but you need to give your children time to recover from the divorce before they have to see you move on with somebody else.
- Establish a routine. Sticking to a schedule can help you have stability in your life. After experiencing an upheaval in your life, having a constant in your life can be calming.
- Learn from your mistakes. No matter what caused your divorce, both spouses have things they can learn from their failed marriage. Take ownership of your part in what happened so you can avoid making the same mistakes in future relationships. You can also figure out which of your needs were not met and what you need in the future.
If you are considering filing for divorce or you have questions, don’t delay any longer and get the help you need.
Men often find it difficult to find a divorce attorney who understands the unique male perspective on family law matters. If you are facing divorce or you have other family law needs, our legal team is here to help. Contact the Men’s Divorce Law Firm to schedule a consultation with a caring professional, and aggressive advocate for men’s rights in divorce, child timesharing (custody), and paternity matters.