NEW YORK TIMES: A federal court in Brazil gave the Brazilian family of a 9-year-old boy at the center of a five-year international abduction and custody case a deadline of Thursday to turn the child over to his American father, and the lawyers for family members have indicated that they will comply, United States Representative Chris Smith said Wednesday.
Although lawyers for the Brazilian family did not respond to multiple requests for comment, the press in Brazil reported that family representatives said the child, Sean, would be turned over to his father, David Goldman, and that the family would seek no further legal remedies. Mr. Smith, a New Jersey Republican who has helped Mr. Goldman with his case, said lawyers from both sides agreed on a plan that would have the family deliver Sean to his father at the American Consulate in Rio at 9 a.m. (6 a.m. Eastern time).
Mr. Goldman lives in Tinton Falls, N.J. The legal battle, waged in American and Brazilian courts, began when Sean’s mother, a Brazilian, traveled with him from the United States to Brazil in 2004. She then asked for a divorce from Mr. Goldman and declared her intention to keep their son. She died last year. Brazil’s chief Supreme Court justice ordered Tuesday that the boy be returned to his father.
Mery Galanternick contributed reporting from Rio de Janeiro.
Article courtsey of the New York Times
Article By | KIRK SEMPLE
Published | December 23, 2009