When you are contemplating divorce, it can be a very stressful and complicated time for the entire family. Since most people have a hard time thinking critically and/or objectively when their emotions are running high, it is important to work with a seasoned divorce attorney who can assist you throughout the entire process.
- Don’t assume that the lawyer who handled your friend or family member’s divorce is the right attorney for you. Take time to research and interview the attorney to confirm not only that he is knowledgeable and qualified to assist you, but also that it is the right “fit” for you.
- Create a list of all your questions regarding your divorce to help ensure that you get the answers you need. It is important to ask your lawyer if there are cost-effective settlement procedures that can be used. It is equally important to confirm that your attorney is willing to litigate your divorce if needed.
- Make a comprehensive list of all of your marital assets and debts.
- Look for any records that indicate your income and your spouse’s current income.
- Consider whether you need to begin establishing credit in your own name.
- Determine whether you should cancel all jointly-held credit cards and how to handle other jointly-held accounts. It is important to discuss your options with your divorce attorney before taking any action.
Men often find it difficult to find a divorce attorney who understands the unique male perspective on family law matters. If you are facing divorce or you have other family law needs, our legal team is here to help. Contact the Men’s Divorce Law Firm to schedule a consultation with a caring professional, and aggressive advocate for men’s rights in divorce, child timesharing (custody), and paternity matters.