The Most Expensive Celebrity Divorce Settlements
We all know that divorce can be expensive, but in the world of Hollywood celebrities, the price tag can be shocking. According to the Chron website, below is a list of some of the most expensive divorce settlements to date:
- Linda Hamilton and James Cameron were married in 1997 after being together on and off for six years. It was Cameron’s fourth marriage and it lasted only eight months, when Cameron reportedly left Hamilton for his next wife, Suzy Amis. Hamilton received a $50 million settlement out of Cameron’s “Titanic” fortune.
- Kevin and Cindy Costner divorced after 16 years of marriage. Kevin reportedly paid Cindy $80 million.
- Harrison Ford and Melissa Mathison divorced in 2004 after 21 years of marriage. Mathison reportedly received an $85 million settlement. There are also unconfirmed rumors that she was granted a percentage of the earnings from Ford’s future films.
- Madonna and Guy Ritchie divorced after eight years of marriage. According to a report by the NY Daily News, Ritchie’s settlement exceeded $90 million, which included the value of their English home.
- Amy Irving and Steven Spielberg divorced after four years of marriage in 1989. The couple had a prenup that was written on a napkin and the court ultimately ruled that it was not valid. Irving was granted a $100 million settlement.
- Country singer Garth Brooks split from his college girlfriend, Sandy Mahl, after 14 years of marriage. Mahl received $125 million.
- Professional golfer Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren had a very public split in 2009 after Tiger’s infidelities were revealed. Although the couple’s settlement was not made public, it has been reported that Elin’s settlement was anywhere from $100 million to $750 million.
- Neil Diamond paid Marcia Murphey, the television producer, a $150 million divorce settlement when their 26-year marriage ended.
- Juanita Jordan received a $168 divorce settlement from Michael Jordan in 2006. At the time, it was the largest celebrity divorce settlement.
- In 2001, Mel and Robyn Gibson’s divorce settlement topped the charts. After 31 years of marriage, it is rumored that Robyn got $425 million.
As high as all of the above celebrity divorce settlements are, they pale in comparison to the largest non-celebrity settlement. Dmitry Yevgenyevich Rybolovlev, the Russian billionaire and owner of AS Monaco, paid his ex Elena Rybolovleva $4.5 billion.
If you need assistance with your divorce, contact the Men’s Divorce Law Firm today. Our approach to family law is quite simple: we listen to you; we return your calls promptly; we keep you prepared and informed; we respect your time; we understand your concerns; and, most importantly, we care.