If you are planning to get a divorce from a spouse with international connections, you may be worried that your spouse will take your child overseas. If you have any concerns regarding international child abduction, it is imperative to contact a family law attorney with experience in this area. You should also consider the following issues:
- One of the most important preventative steps you can take is to secure your child’s passport. While this does not guarantee that the other parent won’t be able to leave the country with your child, it does make it more difficult. We can assist you with contacting the U.S. State Department’s Office of Children and ensuring that a new U.S. passport is not issued to your child.
- Take action to collect and secure any evidence that will support your position in case the other parent takes you to court.
- Consider tracking your child’s whereabouts. This can be accomplished by activating a GPS tracking device on your child’s cell phone. You may also consider alerting school authorities regarding your concerns.
- We can contact the various airlines and inquire whether the other parent has purchased a ticket for your child. We can also ask the airlines to prevent your child from boarding any flights.
- Decide whether to notify other family members regarding your concerns.
- You must think about how to advise your child about what to do in case of an emergency.
The above are just a few considerations. Let us review your individual circumstances and help determine the best strategy for protecting your rights. This may include obtaining an emergency restraining order.
International marriages and personal relationships place special demands on family law attorneys. Clients with international family law issues require dependable advice regarding many matters, each having a significant international component. Contact the Men’s Divorce Law Firm to schedule a consultation with a caring professional, and aggressive advocate for men’s rights in divorce, child timesharing (custody), and paternity matters.