“I don’t understand why my daughter is so depressed?”…“Why is my son hanging out with negative influences?”…“Why does my daughter date idiots?”…“Why does my son have such low self esteem?” If you hear yourself or other parents asking these questions it might be the “dad effect!” Article by James L West, MA, LMHC, NCC, Communicator, Author, Coach and Licensed Mental Health Counselor.
Six Benefits of hangin’ with dad:
- Boys learn social skills | Just hanging out with their dad in groups and observing his interactions helps develop communication skills and confidence.
- Dad’s raise the bar | Daughters observe qualities in their father that are qualities she looks for in her boyfriend. Dad’s plan ahead date nights with their daughters so they can anticipate the time with dad. She can shop with mom for a dress or outfit periodically as well. Dad can get the door to the restaurant or the car, take her by the arm, get her chair and treat her like a lady to raise the bar so hi the “idiot boyfriends” won’t be able to reach it!
- Teens have less delinquency and give in less to peer pressure if hanging out more with dad. Going to sporting events, laser tag, the movies, picnics, swimming, skiing, weekend camping trips, etc.
- The more time dad’s spend with their boys directly correlates with how much college they complete!
- Dad’s who spend less quality time with their sons increases the risk of delinquency.
- Having family dinner as much as possible each week for communication and stay in the loop with your teenager.